Crochet designers – Be sure your patterns have that professional touch. Contact MadameStitch to book your crochet technical editing services NOW!
Technical Editing for Crochet Patterns
I am now accepting tech editing clients for crochet patterns.
My goal as your tech editor is to provide you with edits and corrections that ensure you have the best version of your pattern possible. I work with designers to create the most professional looking, easy-to-read patterns while honoring each designer’s personal style. I have studied and incorporated the industry standards set forth by the Craft Yarn Council so I am familiar with how professional pattern companies expect their patterns to be written. That’s the quality I will bring to my work for you, the designer. Your reputation is important!
For each pattern I will review to be sure the pattern is clear, the instructions match the photo and any charts, the calculations make sense, and the grammar and punctuation are correct.
My philosophy is that this is a collaborative effort; I will offer suggestions and recommendations but the final decisions are entirely up to you, the designer.
Why hire ME?
As a career educator, I am uniquely qualified to find the best solution for you, the designer. I have helped countless students work through issues and achieve their desired outcomes. As a tech editor, I can help you, the designer, give your customers what they need to be successful with your patterns. I know how important clear, concise and accurate instructions are to varying skill levels and how valuable other tools such as photo tutorials, crochet charts and schematics are to the crochet consumer.
What are my qualifications?
I am a lifelong crocheter and pattern consumer. I have been a professional crochet designer and pattern writer for over 15 years. My training and expertise include both levels of the Craft Yarn Council’s “Certified Crochet Instructor”, CGOA’s “Master of Advanced Stitches and Techniques”, and tech editing courses with Joeli Creates. My time teaching in the crochet classroom has allowed me to solve pattern issues in real time with my crochet students, a valuable skill to have as a tech editor. I am proficient with Word, Excel, Pages and Numbers. I can work with pdf’s as well as original documents.
What can I do for you?
I will help you:
- Write high-quality, easy to understand instructions that meet industry standards.
- Add components such as charts and schematics that give your customers the tools they need.
- Ensure that all of your calculations are correct.
- Produce a final product that fits your ideal customer.
Services I provide
- Proofreading for text and style errors
- Suggestions for clearer, more precise language where necessary
- Creation of crochet charts, schematics
- Check any math for accuracy
- Check grading for accuracy
How can you reach me?
Fill out the contact form below. I also respond to Instagram and Facebook direct messages. Or, you can email me at Debbie@madamestitch.com.
What happens next?
Once my availability has been confirmed, you will send a copy of the pattern to be edited via email. After I do a quick review of the pattern, I will send an estimate that includes the turnaround time and cost. Once we have agreed upon the terms, I will send you an official agreement. I may send an amended estimate once I start editing if the work will require additional time. No additional charges will be incurred without your approval.
Note to client: Do as much of the editing and formatting as you can in order to save time and money when working with a tech editor. The more work an editor has to do, the more it will cost!
When I have completed my edit, the annotated document will be returned to you. Incorporate the changes you wish, then send back the revised file. I will look at the corrected version and notate any changes as needed. When there are no additional changes and I have answered any and all questions, I will send a PayPal invoice for my services.
- Sometimes errors or issues of clarity can only be caught by actually going through the construction process. If testers find an issue I did not catch that you feel needs to be corrected in the pattern, I am happy to take a quick look at the suggestions.
- If significant changes need to be made once we have concluded our interaction, a new agreement may need to be negotiated to compensate me for the additional time.
Examples of what may be included with tech editing:
- Check all numbers such as stitch counts
- Crochet charts – Do the written instructions match the chart provided with the pattern? I can also create a chart from written instructions using Stitchworks software.
- Check stitch counts and all math to ensure the numbers match the schematics
- Style sheet – Create one if none exists; ensure that all aspects of your pattern follow parameters of your style sheet
- Proofread for grammar, punctuation, and general style components
- Ensure all necessary information is included and correct (materials needed, gauge, finished measurements, etc.)
What are people saying?
“Debbie recently tech edited a top down, round yoke sweater design which was graded in 7 sizes. Throughout the editing process, her communication was timely and clear, confirming precisely what she had reviewed and adding style suggestions in addition to standard edits. Her work is thorough and concise and her attention to detail, particularly with picking up grammatical inconsistencies, is excellent. I love her use of color coding to categorize edits as this saves me valuable time in the revision process. Debbie works in a timely and professional manner and has been a joy to collaborate with on this design.” – Michelle, Dora Does
“I’ve never used a tech editor before and I’m so glad that I found Debbie. I loved working with her. She made the whole process so easy and her communication has been outstanding not only with how she edited the pattern but with keeping me updated on her progress. She picked up on things that even my testers did not which has given me invaluable insight for future patterns. It’s been an enjoyable process and I would wholeheartedly recommend working with Debbie. I will definitely work with her again.” – Emma, Stitched Up by Emma
I would love to work with you. If you are interested in having me edit one of your designs, please fill out the form below. I’ll be back in touch to start the conversation!